Additional Craft Information:
My daughter recently asked me to make a Ladybug hat for her 2 year old niece's Christmas gift. I came up with this adorable little ladybug with a smiling face and flower accent.
DIY Craft Essential #1: Washi tape
DIY Craft Essential #2: Needle nose pliers
It was very easy to make using the free basic hat pattern I always use by Christins from My Sweet Potato 3 found on Ravelry. There are instructions for Newborn to Adult sizes. I used the child size.
I used #4 worsted yarn in red for the main hat with black yarn for the edging. The face and spots are appliqued on, and the smile, antennae, and line are embroidered on. I used buttons for the eyes and the center of the appliqued flower. The face is lightly stuffed with polyfil to give it that 3D look.
Here's the pattern! I will make a great stocking stuffer!
Ladybug Hat with Earflaps
Hook Size K 6.5mm
Hook Size F 3.75mm
#4 Worsted Yarn in Black, Red, White
2 white buttons
1 red button
Download the free basic hat pattern by Christins from My Sweet Potato 3.
Using Hook Size K and red yarn follow basic hat pattern with earflaps. When you are finished with the 2nd. Flap change yarn to black and sc as instructed around entire hat. Fasten off and weave ends in.
Face is worked in increasing rows to form a half circle, chain 2 always counts as 1 hdc.
Hook Size F and black yarn.
Row 1: Ch 3, 4hdc in 3rd. ch from hook, turn (5hdc)
Row 2: Ch 2, hdc in same st, 2hdc in each st across, turn (10hdc)
Row 3: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in nxt st, *2hdc in nxt st, hdc in nxt st*, repeat between ** across, turn (15hdc)
Row 4: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in nxt 2 sts, *2hdc in nxt st, hdc in nxt 2 sts*, repeat between ** across, turn (20hdc)
Row 5: Ch 2, hdc in same st, hdc in nxt 3 sts, *2hdc in nxt st, hdc in nxt 3 sts*, repeat between ** across, turn (25hdc)
DIY Craft Essential #3: X-acto knife
DIY Craft Essential #4: Spray paint
Row 6: Ch 2, hdc in each st across, turn (25hdc)
Row 7: Ch 2, hdc in BACK LOOPS only of each st across, DO NOT Turn, you will have 25 hdc at the end of the row, now you will continue to work on the “bottom” or straight part of the face. Hdc in same st as last hdc, hdc in BACK LOOPS of bottom sts you should have 17 hdc, sl st to first hdc at the beginning of Row 7. Fasten off and leave tail for sewing.
Spots – Make 8
Hook Size F and black yarn
Rd. 1: Ch 2, 5hdc in 2nd. St from hook, join with sl st to first hdc (5hdc)
Rd. 2: Ch2, hdc in same st, 2 hdc in each st, sl st to top of ch 2 (10hdc) fasten off, leave tail for sewing
Hook Size F and white yarn
Rd. 1: Magic circle, 4 sc in circle , close circle, sl st to top of sc (4sc)
Rd. 2: 2 sc in each st around, sl st to top of first sc (8sc)
Rd. 3: *Ch 2, sl st in nxt st*, repeat ** around, sl st to first sl st (8 chain 2 spaces)
Rd. 4: *sl st, ch1, 2dc, ch1, sl st* in chain spaces around. End with sl st to first sl st. (8 petals)
Rd. 5: Insert hook from back of flower around 1st. ch made in Rd. 3, sl st around this chain, ch 3, sl st around chain in back of next petal. Repeat this around behind each petal. You will have (8 chain 3 spaces)
Rd. 6: In each ch 3 space – 1sc, ch1, 3dc, ch1, 1sc – make 8 petals. End with sl st to first sc. Fasten off and leave tail for sewing.
- With black yarn stitch a black line starting in the center back of the hat to the center front.
- With black yarn sew on white buttons to the face, see photo for placement
- With white yarn embroider on smile see photo for placement
- Sew face to the center of the hat front. Center on the black line you stitched. The face will have a “lip” align the straight edge of the face with the bottom edge of the hat. When you stitch do so at the bottom of the lip leaving the face slightly lifted from the hat. Do this around, when you get about done lightly stuff with poly fill. Sew closed.
- With black yarn embroider on antennae on either side of the black line starting from the face up. Use 3 french knots at the top end of each antennae
- Sew red button in the center of the flower. Sew flower on to hat just above one side of face.
- Sew spots around the hat, front and back.
- Make braided ties on end of each ear flap.
Don't have time to make this hat? No worries order one from my Etsy Shop, I'd love to make one for you!