DIY Craft Essential #1: Washi tape
DIY Craft Essential #2: Needle nose pliers
Additional Craft Information:
Calendars today are not just a wall decoration that tells dates and holidays. Some calendar printing companies have created a huge make-over of the regular calendars we always see. It now comes in different varieties in terms of size, from pocket calendars, table calendars to giant calendars the can almost cover a wall. They also come in variety of uses. Some serves as photo albums, as product catalogs, as notebooks, sketchpads and even as a mirror stand.
The common denominator for those changes is to create something unique out of a regular calendar. With just some knowledge and a dose of creativity and imagination, anyone of us can make one for ourselves.
DIY Craft Essential #3: X-acto knife
DIY Craft Essential #4: Spray paint
One unique design idea is to create a calendar out of old newspapers and magazines. How do we do that? Here are the easy and simple steps to follow:
- Prepare all the materials: paper stocks, colored papers, glue, pair of scissors, old and colorful newspapers and magazines, computer unit with image scanner.
- Browse your old magazines and newspapers, cut out letters and numbers of different colors and designs. Make sure to collect enough letters and numbers to complete the 12 months and dates of the year in the calendar you are making.
- Start assembling the name of the month (January through December), the name of the days (Sundays through Saturdays) and number dates (1 through 31). Remember that you must have 12 set of names for the name of week days same as with the number dates except for 31's for those months with 30 days only.
- Use paper stocks to plot each month and utilize colored papers to add up extra decorations such as boxed lines, special highlights and colored backgrounds.
- When you finished all the 12 months, you are now ready to scan them using your scanner and computer.
- After scanning, you may edit the image files by enhancing its colors and appearance.
- You are now ready to print the image files. You can use a home printer for this step but if you want to retain the high quality of the images, better to let a local printing company handle all the calendar printing.