Additional Craft Information:
I really got into this Frozen thing and found this Olaf hat. It's really easy to make using the FREE basic hat pattern by Christins from My Sweet Potato 3 on Ravelry.
DIY Craft Essential #1: Washi tape
DIY Craft Essential #2: Needle nose pliers
I made the child size hat, but you can make it any size you want. I pretty much followed the pattern until the end where I had to make a small change to make Olaf's Tooth.
Once you've got the basic hat with earflaps done and added the tooth you just have to make the appliques to stitch on to the hat face, then add braided ties. I stuffed the nose to give it that 3D effect.
Here are the instructions to make your own Olaf.
To download a free pdf version visit Savvy Nana!
Hook size K 6.50 mm
Hook size F 3.75 mm
White Worsted 4 Yarn
Gray Worsted 4 Yarn
Black Worsted 4 Yarn
Orange Worsted 4 Yarn
Brown Worsted 4 Yarn
- Download the Basic Hat with Earflap pattern by Christins from My Sweet Potato 3 on Ravelry.
- With white yarn using Hook size K make the hat with earflaps. When you have finished the 2nd. earflap FASTEN OFF (the pattern says not to fasten off and instructs you to sc around the hat, but you still need to make the tooth so for this Olaf hat you must fasten off)
- Row 1: With front of hat facing you count 3 stitches from the end of the right earflap. Attach white yarn into next st. Sl st yarn into stitch. Sl st into next 5 stitches, ch 1, turn (6 sl st)
Row 2-5: sl st into each st, ch 1, turn ( you should have 5 rows of sl st)
4. After 5th row of tooth do not fasten off, ch 1, sc all the way around the hat, join to 1st. sc and fasten off. Weave in ends.
EYES: Make 2
Using Hook size F and black yarn make a magic circle
Rd 1: 6 sc in circle pull tight, join to 1st. sc. (6sc)
Rd. 2: change to white yarn, ch 1, 2 sc in each st, join, (12 sc)
Rd. 3: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st. st, 1sc in next st, *2sc in next, 1 sc in next* repeat around, join. (18 sc)
DIY Craft Essential #3: X-acto knife
DIY Craft Essential #4: Spray paint
Rd. 4: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st. st, 1sc in next st, *2sc in next st, 1sc in next 2 stitches* repeat around join. (24 sc)
Rd. 5: change to gray yarn, ch 1, sc in each stitch around, join, fasten off, leave 10 tail of yarn to sew on face.
Using Hook size F and orange yarn make a magic circle
Rd. 1: 6 sc in circle pull tight, join to 1st. sc (6 sc)
Rd. 2: ch 1, sc in each stitch, join (6sc)
Rd. 3: ch 1, 2sc in each stitch join (12 sc)
Rd. 4-6: ch 1, sc in each stitch join (12sc)
Rd. 7: ch 1, 2sc in 1st. st, 1sc in next st., *2sc in next st, 1sc in next st* repeat around, join (18 sc)
Rd. 8-10: ch 1 sc in each stitch join (18 sc)
Rd. 11: ch 1, 2 sc in 1st. st, 1sc in next 2 st., *2sc in next st, 1sc in next 2 st.* repeat around join (24sc)
Rd. 12-14: ch 1, sc in each stitch, join (24 sc)
Rd. 15: ch 1, hdctog first 2 stitches, 1sc in next 2 st, *hdctog next 2 st, sc in next 2 st* repeat around join (18sc)
Rd. 16: ch 1, sc in each stitch, join, fasten off. Leave 6 tail for sewing onto face. (18 sc)
Using Hook size F and brown yarn
- Ch 13
- sl st in 3rd chain from hook, sl st into next 10 stitches
- Ch 17
- sl st in 3rd chain from hook, sl into next 14 stitches
- Ch 13
- sl st in 3rd chain from hook, sl st into next 10 stitches. Fasten off, leave 6 tail for sewing onto face.
Using the picture as a guide sew eyes onto front of hat making sure they are evenly spaced and centered on the hat.
Stuff nose with polyfil, sew on to the hat.
Sew Hair to the top of the hat/
With Brown yarn embroider eyebrows over eyes using a whip stitch
With Black yarn embroider smile below the nose using a whip stitch
- 30 strands of yarn as follows: 8 gray, 8 black, 8 white
- Separate yarn by color, then divide colors in sections of 4 strands each – (2) 4 strand sections of each color.
- Fold 1 gray section of yarn in half to form loop, slip loop into one stitch on bottom of one earflap, pull yarn ends into loop and pull thru tightly, Repeat with white and black sections.
- Repeat step 3 on other earflap.
- Braid 3 sections together, knotting a the end, Trim fringe even. Repeat on other earflap.
Don't have time to make this yourself? Order it from my Etsy Shop! Savvy Nana Crafts Custom orders are welcome!